Friday, February 27, 2009

The Grocery Game

This year Thomas and I have made a commitment to stay on a budget and pay off debt. We are on track so far ... and I am loving it. What this means is we are only spending cash, and we have decided to go with the envelope method.

Today I tried my hand at becoming an extreme couponer. After hearing about how much people were saving at the grocery store, I couldn't pass it up. It just doesn't make sense to spend more than you have to. So, for the past few days I have spent hours, and I mean hours, reading up on tips and advice, looking at sales, looking for coupons, etc. There are some great sites that I found extremely helfpul. I'll post them at the end of this email. I know that next time it will be easier and take less time. I was actually hoping for better results tonight, but I've only been collecting coupons for one week. So I think this was a good start; it is the first time ever that I saved more than I spent.

Here is what I bought:
5lb red potatoes
Natures Own bread
Publix ice cream
2 boxes Quaker Instant Oatmeal
Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix
2 boxes of Cereal -Quaker brand
4 cans of Progresso soup
1 can of Muir Glen Organic Soup
1 jar of Muir Glen Organic Marinara Sauce
2 jars of Classico Sauce
2 boxes of Mueller's Pasta
20 cans of Green Giant Veggies
2 boxes of betty crocker brownie mix
2 boxes of velveeta and cheese
2 boxes of kraft mac and cheese
2 frozen Voila complete dinners
Simple Orange/Mango Juice
1lb Strawberries
2 lbs Red Grapes
Dozen Eggs
Starbucks Coffee

Total cost before sales and coupons: $127.04
Total spent: $51.84
Total saved: $75.20 (59%)

Not shabby. Lots of room to improve.

These two websites were very helpful at getting me started.
http://www.hotcouponworld.com
http://www.southernsavers.com/

No comments: