Saturday, October 20, 2007

Endometriosis and Fertilty

I remember hearing when I was around 20, when I was in grad school, that women with endo are often infertile - one of my friends at the time was diagnosed, she was not married, and very worried about her prospects of ever having children. At that time, I was worried for her, and also wondered if I had endo. I seemed to have all the symptoms then, but had never been diagnosed. It quickly left my mind when I graduated. After all, no one in my family has ever had problems having children.

So, when I was told by the doctors that I had endo and it would affect my fertility. I wasn't all that concerned. Still thinking, no one in my family has ever had problems.

Now, I know there is a problem. The only thing is, most doctors have no idea what to do about it. And the studies that are out there are controversial. But, I have convinced myself that something in my body keeps a embryo from attaching. I keep feeling like everything goes really well for the first few days after the transplant, and then something happens. And we have decided not to pursue any more fertility treatments until we can get more answers on this or treatment.

This is the introduction to the latest article I found
: "Proteins missing from cells lining the wombs of women with endometriosis may help explain their infertility, according to findings from a study headed by a University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill scientist." And then ... "The new study headed by Dr. Bruce A. Lessey, associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the UNC-CH School of Medicine, suggests that a reduction of the proteins in question may interfere with embryo implantation in the uterine lining."

This doctor is a lot closer, he works out of SC, and less expensive than the other one I was considering in NJ. So he is on our new list of folks to visit at some point ... who knows when.

1 comment:

Mechelle's Designs said...

Sherri-miss speaking with you. I hope all is well and the adoption goes well. Mechelle Marcum