Saturday, November 8, 2008

Homemade Food, Healthy Choices

Over the last six months I have had a lot of fun introducing Petra to new foods. From the beginning, I was set on exposing her to lots of vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices. And due to the lack of baby food available, and the cost, I excitedly hurried around the kitchen cooking her meals. As a result, she regularly eats broccoli, spinach, green beans, cauliflower, beats, sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, parsnips, cantaloupe, apple, kiwi, banana, mango, pot roast, meatloaf, spaghetti, salmon, split pea soup, chicken and barley soup, and so much more.

All of these foods are kept handily ready in the freezer. How, you may ask? Well, I cook it, puree it if needed, and then freeze it in ice trays. After it is frozen I pop them out and store in freezer bags. The food processor I received as a Christmas present has truly become a regular pal.

Not only has this made her meals truly convenient, a lot tastier than that baby food crap in a jar, and more affordable. But it is also making the transition to table food much easier. And to top it off, she loves healthy options.

These meals also accompany her to day care so that I know she is eating healthy there as well. I've been quite shocked how quickly day care centers pump junk into our children. Processed everything. White sugar. Everything is a go. I was flabbergasted a few days ago when I learned they gave Petra a brownie for snack! The next day the children had cookies for a snack. Petra did not. By that time, I had explained completely that it was their responsibility not to give her foods with white sugar. It is absurd that the adults are making such bad food choices, especially with children who are too young to know a difference. It was no different with Silas when he was here. I can count numerous times when I picked him up from day care during snack and found something horrid in front of him. One time I counted 20 fried cheese puffs.

At home, I try to choose healthier options. For instance, for snack Petra may have a pumpkin banana smoothie with wheat bran added. Or a cracker if I'm busy.

No comments: