Sunday, April 19, 2009

Court day approaching

Our court date with Jasper is fast approaching. On Tuesday morning, the 21st, we go into court for the Manifest of Best Interest. This is the trial where the judge will decide if in it is his best interest to be adopted. If so, then we can move forward with the adoption within the next month (depending on timing - there is usually only 1 adoption day a month so it will be either May or June). The birth mother signed over her rights about 2 months ago, and the birth father defaulted due to never showing up at court - so everything should be set.

We are still having a time with his face and eczema. We notified day care that we thought he may be allergic to dyes and perfumes. I'm not sure how much they are doing, its hard to get anyone to communicate effectively with us. I honestly feel like they see us as second rate parents, and that they have more experience with children so "they think they know better." It's very aggravating. Anyhow ... Thomas has been replacing his sheets himself on Monday mornings and we are taking several blankets and burp cloths in for him. It has made a difference. There is definitely improvement. Many days over the last two weeks he came home looking great, with very little redness. So this has helped. However, he still has problems. This weekend he looks horrible and I have no idea why. His left cheek is red, puffy, dry, scaly, with little blister looking bumps - over about a 3" sq. area. He also has some bad areas on his neck again.

He's been eating rice cereal for 2 weeks now. And I can officially say he hates it. He is quite a dramatic child. He screams when I try to feed it to him. You should see him try to avoid a spoonful of the stuff - this morning he bent over backwards trying to avoid it. So, I end up putting it in his bottle. I didn't really want to do this but it seems to be the only way to get him to eat it.

The good news is that since he starting eating cereal, he sleeps longer. I can sometimes get 6-7 hours now at once between feedings. I often have to get up still to put a pacifier in his mouth, but sometimes I don't even have to do that. I am finally getting more than 3 hours of sleep at once and it is great. It was 4 months of not much sleep and I am glad things are improving. He still wakes up quite a bit at night. I think everytime he uses the bathroon it wakes him up, and he hates to get woken. He usually pitches an absolute fit if we ever wake him up.

Or course, as I am typing this he is screaming. His face and cheeks are itching him really bad tonight. He won't stop scratching them, even when I hold him or rock him. I finally walked him around outside, he loves being outdoors. It took about 30-40 minutes to get him back asleep and I had to hold him for that to happen. I think it was too warm in his room .. about 72 degrees. When his head gets hot everything gets worse. I don't know what we are going to do when summer comes. I guess we need to move to a cooler climate.

He has improved dramatically at sitting up. He can sit up for several minutes at a time, and he ismoving around pretty well on the floor, turning in circles, scooting backwards, etc. He usually wants me to hold him. But he also likes the Johnny Jumper in the doorway and the exersaucer.

No comments: