Saturday, January 13, 2007

Day 14 - Egg Retrieval Report

It's been a busy couple days, so I'll bring you up to speed with recent events.

Day 12 - Nothing. Sherri had a busy day at work and I had a busy day at school. No shots either. that was nice.

At dinner Josh and I teased her about how she eats healthy now, but when she gets pregnant, especially with twins, she would be craving junk food deluxe. Just wait," we said, "you'll have us heading to Burger King in the middle of the night for Whopper meals and Crossanwiches."

Day 13 - Retrieval day. We had to be in Jacksonville at 8 so we were out the door at 5:15 and on our way. We stopped for gas and for some reason the pump was messing up when it took our card and we were nervous about making it on time already. It was looking like it was going to be one of those days you have on precisely on the wrong day. But it turned out to be just a minor bump in the road.

Once we arrived in Jacksonville it was a fairly straightforward process. They called Sherri back shortly after 8, but she didn't get started until about 9. They told her, "You're going to get a little drowsy" and the next thing she remembers is waking up and time to go home at 10. It was very easy.

When she was just waking up in the recovery area she said, "I'm starving. Do you have any Burger King?" And the doctor said he loved Burger King but he had to stay away because he couldn't stop eating it.

Too much information, I know. Anyway...

The Dr. came out to talk to me and he said they were able to retrieve 22 eggs. I said, "That's it?"

"What happened to the 30-40 we see every time we come in for an ultrasound?"

He said, "Not all follicles contain eggs. 22 is real good." Huh. I didn't know that.

He was very excited. A little too much if you ask me.

He said, "We normally get 5-10 so this is more than double. It's very good."

Ok. Great. Already our kids are overachievers...

When we get in the car Sherri is feeling fine. She was in a great mood and not any discomfort to note. As soon as we hit the Interstate she said, "At exit 343 there's a Burger King."

Seriously, everything went great. We returned home around 1:30, took a quick nap (well, I did. Sherri just slept) and we couldn't have asked for a better day. Sherri was starting to feel some pain from the surgery and I promised to get the prescription filled on later that day. And then...

I took Josh to work at 3. I had colloquium at 3:30 and Sherri was home in bed. At 5:45 I get a call, Josh is going to the hospital with severe abdominal pains. When I talk with Josh he sounds very distressed and in a lot of pain. Not typical Josh. I arrive home to get the insurance information and tell Sherri I unfortunately hadn't had time to get the medicine for her - but Josh is in the hospital.

So, for the next 6 hours we were treated to the hospitality of the Tallahassee Memorial Hospital Emergency Room. They were very nice. I'll leave it at that.

Long story short, we thought it was Appendicitis, but the scans came back normal so we think it may be a kidney stone.

So, I spent 18 hours yesterday driving to, leaving, or lounging about hospitals. But let's not forget, 22 eggs were retrieved and fertilized yesterday and in the end, everybody went home healthy. It was a glorious day.

Tomorrow we expect a call in the morning to update us on how many eggs fertilized successfully, and when we should expect to return for the implantation procedure. Right now we are planning on Wednesday.

More tomorrow.

No comments: